Sunday, January 17, 2016

Scrappy Improv Mini Quilt

I ran across the notion of improvisational quilting on someone's blog a while back.  I wish I could remember whose it was so I could give credit.  That led me to a FB group by Sherry Lynn Wood based on her book of improv quilting scores.  I don't have the book yet, but the idea of just starting to piece and seeing where it leads is very appealing to me.  I have a hard time envisioning a whole end project, but often have a strong sense of what should come immediately next.

Having recently finished a postage stamp quilt, I had a bag full of rejected four-patches and component blocks, along with a bunch of scraps left over from my bordered squares and serendipity quilts.  The postage stamp quilt used some new and a lot of scraps from the log cabin quilt tops I did last year.  I started off sewing and slicing and ended up with three "blocks" that ultimately went together like this.









From there, it continued to take shape until I got here.

I think I am just filling in negative space now, but who knows.

4 comments:

  1. Intriguing project - wonder where it will take you ? Have fun and thanks for linking up to #scraptastictuesday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scraps and improv go together so nicely! Happy stitching to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I thought this would be completely abstract/non-representational until it turned into a representational piece. I can see a lot of improv in my future.

      Delete